[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Monowall data packet through 2 pipes
 Date:  Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:29:12 -0400
Lets say I'm uploading data by running a P2P program on my computer.

I have Monowall Traffic Shaper Rules.  The first matching rule that this p2p
data runs into puts this P2P upload data in the lowest priority queue. This
p2p low priority queue goes through a certain pipe. Let's call this
pipe..."pipe 1".

The source of this data is from my desktop computer.  I have a subsequent
queue, which is associated with a virtual pipe, which this data can also
match.  That queue will set the upload BW limit of my computer. The upload
BW limit is set by having a virtual pipe, which is a different pipe then the
pipe that makes P2P the lowest priority queue. Lets call this virtual
pipe..."pipe 11".

So this data matches two pipes.  One a static pipe and then a virtual pipe.

My question is...am I correct in thinking that when the data which flows
through pipe 1 (due to the low priority queue for p2p) leaves pipe 1, this
same data will then enter pipe 11 (due to the matching conditions of that
queue) and leave pipe 11. After leaving pipe 11 then this data will go on to
the WAN interface, since this is outgoing data.since there are no more
subsequent matching conditions for that data.

In effect the data "jumps" from the output of pipe 1 to the input of pipe
11. When the data leaves the output of pipe 11, assuming this data doesn't
match any more Traffic Shaper Rules, this data will then go on to the WAN
interface, and out to the Internet.

I see a "Note" at the bottom of the Traffic Shaper Rules page. It says,
"Note: the first rule that matches a packet will be executed." So the first
rule might be a p2p rule. But that doesn't say that the next rule in line
which also matches that same data can't also be executed?  That next rule is
my BW limit rule for my computer.

Am I stating this properly?

Thanks in advance for your help.