[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VOIP setup
 Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:26:02 -0500
I switched to pfsense about the time I started using VOIP but back in my gaming
days I did a lot of work with m0n0wall to reduce latency for gaming sessions.

The best configuration I found for latency was to use 2 pairs of pipes with the
total throughput less then the DSL line throughput.  One pair was for all non
latency sensitive traffic while the other pair was used for VOIP, gaming, and
DNS.  With this setup I never noticed any significant change in latency with
traffic shaping turned on or off and saturating the non latency pipes had only a
very small effect on the latency pipes.  I had one queue assigned to each
latency sensitive pipe with all traffic assigned to that queue.

How is Asterisk measuring latency?  Is it possible that the measurement packets
are not going through the same pipe as the VOIP traffic?  You could verify this
by using the delay option.