[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <abelbeck at abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VOIP setup
 Date:  Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:25:56 -0500
David,

Thanks for the 'tips', I did add temporary delays in my voip pipe
definitions as you suggested, and I did see the expected increase in
my SIP 'pings'.  So, my pipes are working.

I am using just pipes, no queues for voip... if I add a single queue
to each pipe and reference the queue with my rule, no noticeable
difference in the latency.

Interestingly, if I look an ICMP pings, the traffic shaper only adds
about 5ms round trip vs 40ms for a SIP 'ping', going through the same
pipes.  There must be something about asterisk SIP 'pings'.

My ear can not tell the extra latency the traffic shaper is adding.
But, now that I know, it 'bugs' me... <smile>

Thanks,

Lonnie