[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <abelbeck at abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem in DMZ setup...
 Date:  Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:54:01 -0500
Joel,

I will give it a shot...

m0n0wall's inbound NAT only handles UDP and TCP types of IP traffic.
The 'port' field of UDP/TCP is what allows NAT to make it's magic
work.  'ping' uses ICMP, no 'port' information...  so, no ping from WAN.

On the other hand, if each of your DMZ servers was NAT'ed via 1:1
NAT, then each DMZ server would have a mapped public WAN address, so
all types of IP are a go.  Your firewall rules are used to allow/
block traffic as desired.  Of course, you need 1 static public IP
address for each 1:1 NAT, for every DMZ server.

> And also all my three server in DMZ cannot ping same website or
> public IP at
> the same time?.

My guess this is an outbound NAT issue with non-UDP/TCP data (ie. no
'port' information).  Just like you can't PPTP to the same server on
the WAN from inside via multiple simultaneous clients, it makes sense
you can't ping from inside via multiple simultaneous clients well.
NAT can't figure out the return path because of the lack of the
'port' information in the IP packet.

Lonnie