[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Anson Ringenoldus <ansonr at spruitje dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Tracert always fails on 2nd hop behind Monowall
 Date:  Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:31:53 +0200
>   1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.254
>   2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
>   3    13 ms    13 ms     *
>GE-1-1-ur02.bellevue.wa.seattle.comcast.net [68.86.98.21]
>
>Can we change our monowall configuration so the 2nd hop responds or is
>skipped????

Well, it seems that the second hop doesn't respond to ICMP.
So, it is skipped with a traceroute.
That's normal.
Some providers disable ICMP response to prevent ping floods on the router.
(well, people who ping flood routers or servers
should be shot dead but that's another story)
As long as you can see the third hop, your internet connection should work.
Otherwise, the second router has died  ;-).
Mvgr,
Anson

Toasty the toaster (Red dwarf)

ansonr at spruitje dot org