[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  "Walter PC" <walterpc at mchsi dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] make it "beep" when booted?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:18:21 +0200
> least you know it is not a DEAD box.
> Happens all the time at hotels I support and the hotel has no
idea...but a
> confirmation beep would be a blessing - did you hear the second beep -
> yes..
> good then the box is working and go on to the next step.

First of all: the DEVS have other 'serious' things todo then programming
a beep function.

Although a simple beep seems obvious to many people I only agree if the
beep happens in the following situation:

BEEP when everything is working.

The biggest problem is that the system can be programmed to beep after
bootup but there is no single guarantee that everything is working like
expected (there isn't a control mechanism) and writing such a control
mechanism takes time the DEVS don't have.

I hope this explains my biggest concern. If people really just are happy
with a simple beep (controllable by the GUI) even if something is
malfunctioning then I don't have any remarks anymore.

Kind Regards,

J.

-
Jonathan De Graeve