[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] make it "beep" when booted?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:10:57 -0500
I wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion, I've read all the messages
about it and really I can't understand why this simple feature request
is causing so much stir. I think people are just asking for something
basic that would be useful for troubleshooting problems. All this
discussion about what other products do and how people should just
console in instead is really irrelevant to the request.

I think it would be useful and if it makes it in or not doesn't concern
me. But all the bickering back and forth about what other people and
other products do and how this isn't a serious feature request is all a
matter of personal opinion.  I never got the impression that a simple
system beep on system start was suppose to represent some advanced
m0n0wall function that was suppose to know that everything was working
through complex program analysis.

All in all, if adding a "beep" to the system after everything is booted
is too much work/not possible/can't do/etc then I think that's the
answer everyone is looking for. The philosophical questions on if it's
right or wrong should be left to another forum of discussion and not
this mailing list in my opinion.

Thanks All,
Michael