[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] make it "beep" when booted?
 Date:  Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:30:06 -0500
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:10:57 -0500
  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org> wrote:

> I wanted to add my $0.02 to this discussion, I've read all the
>messages about it and really I can't understand why this simple
>feature request is causing so much stir.

I can't believe I am writing this ON VACATION! I can't believe I am
reading this on vacation. :-)  Anyway...

Why should *I* code this mod?  First, I don't need it.  Second, to do
it right is a lot of work.  Third, to do it wrong is relatively
simple, so if someone else needs it more than I...

Read the above for any request.  You have to sell the need, and why it
is beyond your abilities.  Will a lot of people need it?  Does it fit
with the m0n0wall philosophy?  Is there no way I can do it?

Now the specifics of the beep...  You can add a <shellcommand> to the
config.xml file to play a beep. You can do this on your own.  Upload
the program from http://www.freshports.org/audio/beep/ and run it from
the command line to test.  Then put it in the config.  Of course, that
just tells you that you made it to that command, not that DHCP ran
successfully.  This is the point others are making; It does not tell
you that m0n0wall is running fully!

If this is still that big a deal when I get back home, I will make a
custom image with this beep program installed.  But why is it that big
a deal?

                              Lee