[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brad Shows" <bshows at americablejapan dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0s hanging : any progress ?
 Date:  Sun, 27 Aug 2006 07:59:21 +0900
I am running several (15) PCengines WRAP boards with FreeBSD and M0n0wall
and having the same freezes.  I thought it was power; put it on UPS and
froze.  I thought it was heat; added fans to my wifi box enclosures, still
freezes.  I am not having trouble where my user levels are below 10, but
where I can see 20+ users I am having the freezes.  I also see massive
amounts of P2P traffic before freezes, but even with limiting the P2P
traffic to 5% on the Traffic shaper it still freezes (though a bit less
often).  I am seeing one error that I can't explain or make go away and that
is numerous "stray IRQ 7", but I can't explain that one either.

I am about to change to Microtik Router boards using the RouterOS.  They
have a different CPU chip on their boards and I am hoping that will solve
the problem.  Talking to them they say they can handle 100 simultaneous
users as well.  I am also today going to test Ikarus OS on one of them.  I
have a theory it is the small CPU on my WRAP boards that can't handle the
excessive traffic and seems to lock up the boards.

I have not tested M0n0wall on PCs because that is not where I need it to
run.  I am running wireless hot spots so I need the small form factor boards
with wireless capabilities.  I have to admit that on my low traffic sites
M0n0wall has never had to be rebooted; but on my heavy use sites keeping
them running is a constant up hill battle.

I have very little hair left as well!

Brad Shows
Americable Int'l
System Administrator