[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0s hanging : any progress ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:11:25 -0600
>I am running several (15) PCengines WRAP boards with FreeBSD and M0n0wall
>and having the same freezes.  I thought it was power; put it on UPS and
>froze.  I thought it was heat; added fans to my wifi box enclosures, still
>freezes.

I have gone through the same things.

> I am not having trouble where my user levels are below 10, but where I can
> see 20+ users I am having the freezes.  I also see massive amounts of P2P
> traffic before freezes, but even with limiting the P2P traffic to 5% on
> the Traffic shaper it still freezes (though a bit less often).  I am
> seeing one error that I can't explain or make go away and that is numerous
> "stray IRQ 7", but I can't explain that one either.
>
> I am about to change to Microtik Router boards using the RouterOS.  They
> have a different CPU chip on their boards and I am hoping that will solve
> the problem.  Talking to them they say they can handle 100 simultaneous
> users as well.  I am also today going to test Ikarus OS on one of them.  I
> have a theory it is the small CPU on my WRAP boards that can't handle the
> excessive traffic and seems to lock up the boards.

There are a number of people who successfully run m0n0wall in bandwidth
intensive applications using WRAP boards and Soekris boards.  Others running
the same hardware have the freezes.

> I have not tested M0n0wall on PCs because that is not where I need it to
> run.  I am running wireless hot spots so I need the small form factor
> boards with wireless capabilities.

I have tried everything from old PII machines to Lex Systems embedded boards
to new Dell Poweredge 1850 servers (serious overkill).

>  I have to admit that on my low traffic sites M0n0wall has never had to be
> rebooted; but on my heavy use sites keeping them running is a constant up
> hill battle.

I see the same thing.  I have other Lex Systems boards (4) that successfully
run m0n0wall with no issues (>120 days uptime).  It's just this one
application that causes me problems, and it happens to be the most important
one.  haha  Figures.

Aaron