[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Use "any" or "LAN" on LAN interface for Firewall ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:34:52 -0400
This question is in reference to the firewall function of Monowall, on the
LAN interface.

I realize that firewall rules are 'inbound only' for the interface in
question.

If I want to firewall a particular port from sending data into the LAN
interface, I'm figure I have two choices that I can use in the 'Source'
drop-down list.  The LAN subnet is naturally connected to the LAN
interface.so I could use "LAN subnet" for the source.  OR.  I would think I
could also use "any" in the list of sources.

Wouldn't using "LAN subnet" or "any" for the source have the same effect?
So I'm wondering if it matters at all which one I use?

I only have one network subnet hooked to the LAN interface. Therefore it
would seem that if I have "any" listed for "Source" that the rule should
work...even though technically it probably could also be "LAN subnet" listed
for Source.

Does it make any difference if I use "any" or "LAN subnet" for Source?
Probably not, since both have the same effect?

Thanks much for your help,

Bob