[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0s hanging : any progress ?
 Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:06:44 -0600
> Farking m0n0wall locked up again, less than 12 hours after its last
> reboot. I'm going over my settings so that the switch to pfSense is
> easier. We'll soon know for sure if it is hardware related as I'm going to
> use the EXACT same hardware in pfSense. swap cd's, swap floppy disks for
> data storage, done. Will post updates.

Thanks Andrew.  I would very much like updates on how this goes for you.

My own experience - I made the change to pfSense and it went well.  I built
a config using an identical machine (Lex Systems CV860, I have a few lying
around now) and a 1 GB CF card.  Ran the live installer and all was good. I
built everything from scratch - I used one of my free public IPs and tested
everything (other than some of the inbound NAT stuff that is on a routed
subnet from my ISP).  Everything worked well, all of my VLANs were great.
During a slow time on my network I took down the live m0n0wall, swapped in
the pfSense card and booted up.  Everything ran great.  After about 4 hours
it seemed like my VLANs started dropping.  It wasn't like the m0n0wall
freeze.  A few VLANs continued to operate with no issues.  I was in no mood
to troubleshoot so I quickly dumped the m0n0 CF card back in and things came
back online.  I'm not sure what happened but I didn't want to complain as I
didn't do any of my own troubleshooting and may have missed a config setting
somewhere.

Aaron