[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall take a long time to boot
 Date:  Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:15:15 -0400
On 8/26/06, Joseph Lo <josephlo71 at yahoo dot com> wrote:

<snip>
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done

This is most likely your problem.  Google this - suggests your problem
is probably a long standing FreeBSD 4.x bug that's probably long since
been fixed in 5.x and 6.x.  At least one person has reported it
doesn't seem to be an issue if you set your CD-ROM to slave.

Just because Linux and DOS work with this particular hardware doesn't
mean it's going to work fine with FreeBSD, especially something as old
as 4.x.  I have seen plenty of hardware that works fine with FreeBSD
but doesn't work with Linux, or works fine with Linux but not FreeBSD.
 Blame various oddly buggy hardware.

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS as well.

-Chris