[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joseph Lo <josephlo71 at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall take a long time to boot
 Date:  Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
Ok. Have now tried a lot of configuration. What works now is to set the cdrom as master to the
secondary IDE channel. The primary IDE channel is now left without any connection. HDD is also
disconnected and I can now boot from the CDROM and without the lengthy bootups.

The only thing left to iron out would be those MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting error
messages.

Any help is appreciated

Best regards
Joseph

Joseph Lo <josephlo71 at yahoo dot com> wrote: Thank you Chris for your helpful response.

Indeed the cause is due to the MODE_SENSE_BIG thingy. I have searched the net and all posts seem to
suggest (like you said) to switch the cdrom drive to slave mode.

I have now done exactly that, i.e. I put the hard drive as master on IDE channel 1 and the cdrom as
slave on the same IDE channel.

Thank goodness the long boot time is now gone. But the MODE_SENSE_BIG lines continue to appear and
monowall also continues to reset them. I am now able to get to the final monowall menu.

Alas, 2 questions remain:

1. What else can I do in regards to these MODE_SENSE_BIG thingy? Are they harmful in anyway or deter
the firewall from performing its duties?

2. My intention is to run monowall with just the cdrom (no HDD) and the floppy drive. When I
disconnect the hdd from the system and set the cdrom to slave mode, the puter will not boot from the
cdrom. Is there anyway I can do so?

Best  regards
Joseph

Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote: On 8/26/06, Joseph Lo  wrote:

> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done
> acd0: MODE_SENSE_BIG command timeout - resetting
> ata1: resetting devices .. done

This is most likely your problem.  Google this - suggests your problem
is probably a long standing FreeBSD 4.x bug that's probably long since
been fixed in 5.x and 6.x.  At least one person has reported it
doesn't seem to be an issue if you set your CD-ROM to slave.

Just because Linux and DOS work with this particular hardware doesn't
mean it's going to work fine with FreeBSD, especially  something as old
as 4.x.  I have seen plenty of hardware that works fine with FreeBSD
but doesn't work with Linux, or works fine with Linux but not FreeBSD.
 Blame various oddly buggy hardware.

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS as well.

-Chris

http://mail.yahoo.com