[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  "'Holger Bauer'" <Holger dot Bauer at citec dash ag dot de>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Is there logging for M0n0wall Traffic Shaper rules ?
 Date:  Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:52:06 -0400
Hello Holger:

Thank you for your reply.  I'm not sure I understand.

I do have a few queue/pipe rules that limit bandwidth and they work.  I just
change the BW of the pipe, and then I can go to a web site like Speak Easy
that will allow me to check BW, when I'm no that particular computer for
which the BW was changed. But BW is the only queue/pipe rule that I know how
to check for.

In this particular case I'm trying to pass incoming HTTP traffic through a
mid-priority level queue, prior to my low priority "catch-all" queue.  But
even if I didn't have the "catch-all" queue, if none of my queues matched,
the incoming HTTP traffic will still pass on to the output interface, at the
regular speed of the pipe itself (if I understand all this correctly).

I'm glad to see you do validate this problem.  I figure I have three paths
my incoming HTTP traffic can take.  I just don't know how to tell which path
it is taking: 1. My midlevel queue, 2. "catch-all" queue.  Or  3. Bypassed
all queues and just went out the pipe to the output interface.

Maybe you are onto something there, but I don't think I understand.  I'm not
sure how I can stop all other traffic, but just try to pass my incoming HTTP
traffic, via a particular queue.

Could you go into a little more detail about how I can tell if a particular
queue (like my queue for incoming http traffic) is passing through my mid
level queue, as opposed to my catch all queue?

Thanks much for your contribution,
Bob Young