[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0s hanging : any progress ?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:25:56 +0200
On 8/30/06, Andrew Kemp <akemp at iquest dot net> wrote:
> I would tend to agree that it is not p2p or poison packet related.

<my2cents>

  Since I've been blocking all p2p traffic and just allowing a few ports to the
  outside world, the crashes/freezes have shifted from once every day (sometimes
  even multiple times a day, within an hour) to once in two to three weeks or
  longer. This is in fact done by placing two m0n0walls behind each other.

  When considering P2P traffic, please do not just judge the traffic itself, but
  also the misbehaving hosts that send non P2P related traffic back to your
  firewall. It's not just P2P related but more than that. P2P software tends to
  connect to so many hosts, where's bound to be a few misbehaving hosts in that
  lot.

  Disabling P2P HUGELY reduces the amount of hosts that want to connect to you,
  and so reduces the amount of misbehaving hosts. Hence the drop in the freezes.

</my2cents>

<paranoia-mode>

  It could also be that several of the Motion Picture Associations of some
  counties or a Record Label company is connecting to P2P networks, just to shoot
  down some of the hosts connecting to it and they focused on m0n0wall because one
  of the developers there got kicked off the mailing-list, while working
  undercover for some sort of secret organization, trying to take over the
  world...... (where are my pills)

</paranoia-mode>

<dumb-mode>

  "It's them Gerbils, I recon."

</dumb-mode>

Offcourse, none of this can be verified by me for now... I hope someone has time
to analyze the trafficdump from Aaron.

--
Jeroen Visser.