[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0s hanging : any progress ?
 Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:59:32 -0600
> Or just perhaps, the traffic level is higher with these enabled and
> because of the traffic volume, things work differently?  I would tend to
> think that in order to definitively tag P2P as the culprit there would
> need to be a replacement by something else to represent the appropriate
> level of traffic in order to truly demonstrate that something else isn't
> failing.  That isn't to say that P2P isn't in fact the culprit, only that
> the anecdotal evidence so far doesn't seem to prove or disprove that.  If
> your normal traffic with P2P is 20 units, then killing P2P and letting
> traffic drop to 5 units doesn't prove anything.
> By way of example take the case of the car which had a tendency to just
> die at speeds over 75 mph.  Very repeatable, and absolutely no failure
> cases below that speed.  The problem turned out to be a fuel supply issue.
> The problem with using the speed as the culprit is that the only time the
> fuel requirement exceeded the available flow was at 75 mph.  The problem
> was discovered after it was determined that the same failure could be
> produced by running in a lower gear and not allowing the transmission to
> shift up.  It really had nothing to do with speed, only fuel flow.

We don't believe this has anything to do with speed or bandwidth handling of
the m0n0wall or any of the WAN connections in these cases (I have
successfully passed 13+ Mbps through my m0n0s, WAN to OPT, which is far more
than the average load).  And my current thoughts are that it also has
nothing to do with the P2P traffic contents.  Right now I think it has to do
with the number of live connections that exist at any given time or the
number that are created at any given time.  It just so happens that P2P
applications like to have lots of connections open at once and open a lot
more quite frequently.  Of course with the testing and changes I have made
recently I may be disproving my ideas on this as well.  haha

Aaron