[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Sam Shaw" <bongospam at googlemail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  booting from a usb pen, thumb, key drive
 Date:  Sat, 2 Sep 2006 22:14:09 +0100
I am desperately trying how to boot m0n0wall from a USB stick. My computer
supports usb-hd, usb-floppy, usb-zip and usb-cd.

Freenas works booting from a usb stick, I had this working following their
install tutorial. The cd image has a specific option for installing onto a
usb device. Freenas uses freebsd (monowall/bsd more specifically) so it's
obviously possible.

Research has pointed towards tonnes of different methods on getting this to
work. The simple methods have not worked for me, and the more complicated
methods seem to involve installing a seperate linux kernel that then boots a
seperate linux image (if that makes sense?) - I saw some people reporting
7min+ boot times with this method, obviously not practicle.

I have very little *nix or bsd experience and would really appreciate any
help with this. I am very surprised there isn't far more information for
this specific problem, I can imagine many people would either want to use
this method or could use this method. Usb sticks are so cheap and plentiful,
saves buying a cf card and ide converter.

Please tell me there's a very simple method that I have missed for getting
this to work!

I have a kingston USB 2.0 Datatraveller. I tried formattng the drive with a
fat partition (I have had it working as a dos boot disk by copying the
system files onto it too) and using physdiskwrite to copy the cf/hd image
over. This returns no errors. On booting this I get error messages -
"Invalid Splice" - and I get kicked to a bsd prompt as it can't find a
bootloader or the kernel (invalid splice error pops up as it tries both). Am
I doing something wrong? Can I manually frig the usb stick's set up if I can
get this far into the boot process?

Thanks in advance

Nigel