[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Gar" <begood at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 50K concurrent users - possible?
 Date:  Mon, 4 Sep 2006 04:01:11 -0500
On 9/4/06, Jonathan De Graeve <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be> wrote:
> If somebody does the appropriate funding I will be happy to rewrite
> everything to an OO infrastructure which will make threading of the
> captive portal possible.

Is this the bottleneck? Is it for concurrent logins or concurrent
active sessions? How about performance of the OS networking stack,
does it benefit from SMP today?

> In that case it will certainly be possible to
> handle 50k users (although it will be without mac locking) and I don't

What is MAC locking?

> know the maximum ruleset for a BSD based system. But for the moment, not
> yet... I'm in the way of moving to such an infrastructure.

I don't need firewall rules.(except redirect for unauthenticated users).

> PS even a Cisco doesn't handle this atm. I know only one system that is

I think Cisco limit is at line speed.

> able of handling 100k users but its not public available yet and it runs
> on linux. It is from a guy who works at my old university (KULeuven) and
> consists of at least 2hardware boxes. (router/login-logout frontend
> server)

I am not hooked on FreeBSD. Just looking for scalable solution with
minimum integration to our billing.

> Can I ask for which situation you need to handle 50k users?

It is for citi wide wireless cpe aaa, traffic shaping and session
control. Most of the users are

/John