[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Mon, 4 Sep 2006 10:21:41 -0500
From: "Lloyd Palfrey" <Lloyd at wsufftrust dot org dot uk>

> I have 20 odd access points serving up wireless internet access.
> M0n0wall is the captive portal, dhcp and internet gateway.

> At random periods users get "Limited or no connectivity". They can be
> connected for hours then suddenly it drops. I'm in contact with Linksys
> who make the access points to try and find out whats causing this.
> However I know they're going to try and blame m0n0wall for the problem.

> Does anyone know of anything which would be causing this?

That is the typical error for MS not getting an IP address.  When Windows
ZeroBrain Config changes channels (for totally random reasons) it does a
DHCP request.  If it times out, you loose your IP, and you see your favorite
bubble.  Often APs will fail to pass DHCP in a timely fashion. A reboot
often fixes it.  On the other hand, a kernal panic in m0n0 will dump the
kernal, and fill the ram drive, preventing DHCP from writing to the file.
You can confirm this from the status.php page with a "df" command, or but
powering up a PC on the network in question.

                                Lee