[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Gar" <begood at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 50K concurrent users - possible?
 Date:  Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:30:53 -0500
On 9/4/06, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> State table is limited to 30,000 states.  Again, this can be changed at a
> cost of memory.  However, it will have to be done.  If there is any way, you
> may want to consider distributed gateways to a central RADIUS server.  With
> this, you are using a proven system that works, as opposed to a custom
> solution that "should" work.

How would distributed gateways approach work over a single layer 2
broadcast domain?
One idea is to use a special DHCP server, that round robins multiple
gateways while allocating IPs. Anyone know of such DHCP server?
And then how many and what type of machines I would need?

> However, funding Jonathan is a good idea regardless. :-)

I can ask about that. I now we have worked with communities in the
past to sponsor desirable features. Let's see if this is feasible and
worth while first