[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Gar" <begood at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 50K concurrent users - possible?
 Date:  Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:32:37 -0500
On 9/4/06, liran tal <liransgarage at gmail dot com> wrote:

> I'm thinking the pitfalls are probably:
>  * The firewall rules limit that BSD allows (if there is any)
>  * If the httpd would be able to handle the load of requests for
> authentication and such

Not a lot. It's not a typical hotspot. It is more of WISP type of
business. Some casual users but most are monthly subs.

>  * The through-put of the box. 50k is alot, even if every client is only
> receiving 256kbit/512kbit which is a
>    minimum speed requirement by end-users these days.

It seems like a critical issue. I actually need around 500Mbit/s
combined at peak. That said, this is why I am considering a freebsd
based solution. But I thought FreeBSD 4.1 does not handle SMP well in
the kernel.

/John