[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Craig FALCONER <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>
 To:  'Lloyd Palfrey' <Lloyd at wsufftrust dot org dot uk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:29:02 +1200
Yep - been there done that.

I have ~30 linksys wrt54gl aps around the place.  After placing them all I
got occasional weirdness due to channel overlaps.  I suggest you draw a
scale map of your site and locate the APs on it.  Then change each one's
channel setting from Clear Transmit to an alternating pattern of 1, 6, and
11  These are the only three B and G channels that don't overlap.   It *may*
be possible to use channels 12 and 13 where you are, but sometimes that's
another problem (laptops with american drivers etc)

Also, if you have APs rather close together then lowering the transmit power
will also help reduce overlap.  For various social and physical reasons I
ended up with three offices in a row with an AP each.  Setting alternate
channels helped, but lowering the power was also needed before weird network
problems went away.