[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <EXT dash Mike dot Bradshaw at nokia dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even better ;)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:59:16 +0200
> Something in between could be a firewall with some simple (or
> complex even)
> network services, which could convince the customer of
> putting at least
> something in between his LAN and the big bad internet.

> OTOH, if anyone is planning to create some kind of all-in-one
> solution, I
> really willing to help in all the ways I can.

setting the debate about the advisability of creating a device which is something other than a PURE
firewall, with no other services running on it, to one side for a moment, might m0n0BSD be a
starting point for this all in one appliance?

It's FreeBSD based, so all the goodness of the *BSD ip* (ipfilter, ipsec etc) stuff for fire
walling, with the benefit of the FreeBSD ports collection for the other bits required.

From what i can see on the website (http://m0n0.ch/bsd/) there is an image for soekris 45xx boards.
Whereas for a combined Firewall/appliance device i would guess a 4801, with its UltraDMA-33 44pin
connector, for fileshare/mail/whatever else storage, would make more sense. Board, case, power
supply, 2.5" HD should be less than $500

Or else, in a similar fashion to m0n0wall, either a generic-PC image, or boot off CD, config on
floppy, and internal HD for storage (/home, others as needed?)

regards
mike