[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brandon Holland" <brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 To:  "'Jim Gifford'" <jim at giffords dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even better ;)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:59:28 -0600
How many computers do your parents have that'd warrant the necessity of
DHCP? (on a firewall or not for that matter)

You said something about APs?  That's scary.  Case and point: a rogue
user gets access to your network (by breaking the pathetic WEP key, if
you have even have onset )  and is automatically assigned an IP, mask
and gateway.  That's nice.  I'm sure he appreciates that :)

Even a novice can have access to your internet now.

DHCP is a security risk.  You *say* that you *need* it.  I don't think
you do for a network as small as around 3 (I'm guessing) computers.  I
seriously do not think it needs to be part of a firewall either.  (I
don't use it on the firewall) Is DHCP a good thing? Yes if it's needed.
(I need it, and use it on a separate computer)

Are there free DHCP programs that could run internally on your network
and not on the firewall? Yes.

My point is, people are willing to sacrifice all for functionality.  If
you're willing to do that, please, don't download m0n0wall.  You're not
looking for a firewall.  (I don't care if your 12 or 90, at home or at
work, security is still, in my book, important)

Brandon