[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Brandon Holland'" <brandon at cookssaw dot com>, Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even bet ter ;)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:39:43 +0100

I didn't mean to, sorry.

> My understanding is m0n0wall's purpose is to be a firewall.  If I've
> mis-understood, then so be it.  I've been wrong before.

If I get it, you're right this time. Me too, I think m0n0wall is meant to be
a firewall.

> I wasn't saying that it's stupid to use DHCP.  Do I use it?  Even though,
> you removed what I wrote, I said I DID use it.  Is DHCP sacrificing "all
for
> functionality" no.

I might have misinterpreted again, but I did understand that you thought
running DHCP on the firewall was a bad idea. I was just indicating the fact
that all is a balance between ease of use and security. Even running samba
on a firewall isn't sacrificing *all* for functionality, just a lot. Too
much, if you ask me, but that's a personal choice.

> I'm not here to give you English lessons, but my
> statement "don't download m0n0wall" was conditional.  It depended on the
fact
> that you'd be willing to sacrifice all (security included) for
functionality.
> There are many better suited apps for this purpose.

Again, I was just illustrating the fact that there are choices to be made,
not attacking you in some way. If running DHCP on a firewall is too much of
a security risk for some people, they should not download m0n0wall. If they
want some free MS-SBS, they should not download it too. I did use ;-) to
indicate the fact I was not that serious though.

I know my english isn't that good, it is in fact only my 3rd language,
behind dutch and french. That could very well be the cause for my
misinterpretation.

> I'd appreciate it in the future, if you wouldn't misrepresent what I
> write anymore.

My apologies.

Joachim

MISSION STATEMENT