[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 Cc:  'Mark Spieth' <mspieth at neod dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even bet ter ;)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:08:53 +0000
Christiaens Joachim wrote:

>>From: Mark Spieth [mailto:mspieth at neod dot net]
>>

>>This is BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD! I can repeat it some more if you
>>want... A
>>firewall should just be a firewall period end of story.

Let me have my 2 cents worth. As many of you know I designed and
invented SmoothWall four years ago, that really changed the whole way
the internet market looked at web managed firewalls. Hence why it spread
like wildfire.

When SW started out it was a FIREWALL, no DHCP server, no NTP, no Snort,
no Squid, no syslog, no Java terminal client. I added functionality
because people became a f**king pain in my ass and I gave in and it
became a support nightmare. However as features were added to the core
product I NEVER used them. The guy who invented it - used ONE aspect of
the product - the firewall.

Yes SmoothWall ran Squid - I never used it (I have always used Squid on
an internal box), DHCP server running on SmoothWall (I have DHCP server
running on a tied down Samba box on the inside network). It also made
things like patching SmoothWall a pain, because there was always so much
to check that we hadnt broken. The image went from 18mb to 23 to 26mb -
doesn't sound so much but it is when you're supporting multiple images.

Now with M0n0 - but Manuel hasn't one image, he supports iso images, CF
images, god knows how many images.

PLEASE make life bearable. Let's be more realistic. Do not make this
into a full time unpaid job and make life silly.

Common sense people...