[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>
 To:  "'Hilton at QuarkAV dot com'" <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even bet ter ;)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:09:57 +0100

As well as I support your vision for the network of my corporate customers
AND my personal home network, I can also understand another aspect of this
not-so-easy to reach balance between secure and cost-effective.

At the moment, in reality, there are a lot of Windows desktops, directly
connected to the internet, with -at best- a personal software-firewall. This
not only at home-setups, but also for a lot of small businesses!

Something in between could be a firewall with some simple (or complex even)
network services, which could convince the customer of putting at least
something in between his LAN and the big bad internet.

If I make an offer for a travel agency that has 2 workstations, 1 network
printer and a broadband connection, I cannot include a firewall, a
fileserver, and maybe some other servers to conform with best practices and
split things up.

If I can include 1 appliance, I will easily convince them of the advantages,
in security AND in functionality, for a reasonable price.

I usually sell SME-server solutions (aka e-smith). This does everything most
small business customers need, but it is such bloatware.
Having that said, I admit I would love the beauty of m0n0wall (and I really
don't mean only the GUI) to spread into an application like the SME-server,
but this project is a firewall and Manuel is very clear about that. He is
right. He allways is, because it's his project.

OTOH, if anyone is planning to create some kind of all-in-one solution, I
really willing to help in all the ways I can.

Regards,
Joachim

MISSION STATEMENT

DISCLAIMER