[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature request which would make m0n0wall even better ;)
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:05:10 +1000
Hi Mark,

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 03:01, Mark Spieth wrote:
> [...]

Yes, I agree.

1. It is signifiantly easier to hack a home system.  Most lack
firewalls, decent antivirus and any semblence of security.
2. Many (most?) home users have broadband, therefore cannot notice the
small amount of bandwidth used by a nefarious user.
3. The only time a home user generally even looks at a log is just
before they put it on their fire or bbq
4. Once a home network is hacked, there are often a number of things the
script kiddies can do - all with tools written by better hackers, of
course - to continue hacking this network, but more importantly, other
networks.  A hack thru one of your PCs to a business will look like a
hack from your PC into that business.  Not fun!
5. Who wants an open relay server secretly installed on their home
network?
6. Which home user (average home user, that is) would know if they were
hacked, let alone know what to do to stop it, trace it and protect from
it happening again?  Most of them will take their "unstable" PC to the
local computer noob (sorry, local computer store containing a highly
qualified and knowlegable technician) and be told that their Windows
needs reinstalling, and that they need a bigger hard drive and better
video card.

PS Please don't top-post a reply to a (correctly) bottom-posted thread.
It takes the whole thing out of context, and makes following the logical
flow of the thread rather difficult.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/