[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Load balancing options? Share some ideas before we go off hacking alone ;-)
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:10:07 -0800
Here is a commercial (not often discussed from what I've seen) product that
does what I need:

http://nct.symantecstore.com/0001/appliance_center.html

All it has that mono doesn't (imho, and considering what I find useful) is
the connection load balancing...

I've done connection fail over a variety of ways... That is not load
balancing - to the purists out there, NO this is not BGP - I am not looking
for BGP and neither are the majority of realists who what a cheap way to
avoid having to walk over and switch cables when the telco screws up...

I thought I'd ask the group if they had heard of any relavent projects
before I go off blindly and recreate a wheel when a better one exists...

Who wants to go first? ;-)

I figure it should as a minimum allow some sort of connection balancing
(this can be pretty basic to start, and simply be a round robin if the
interface is healthy - we can evolve it later to include sensitivity to the
data rates on the upstream connections and knowlege of the capacities...)

It should also allow connection inbound on both interfaces.

A nice to have, would be a notification mechanism for when a failed link is
detected - this could be used to remove an external address from dns, etc.

I'm thinking if such a creation exists, and it were polished and php/xml web
configed, it might make a good addition to mono - even if only as an
optional add on.

I would put the mono/soekris combo on par with the symantec solution, which
makes it easier to afford the embedded platform needed to complete this
sweet deal.

Currently one of my customers is using about 200 of those symantec units,
with plans to expand... be nice to have a home rolled alternative.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

m/