[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Christiaens Joachim <jchristi at oce dot be>, Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>, John Voigt <1geek at jvoigt dot com>, "Subscribe at k dot rudoy dot com" <Subscribe at k dot rudoy dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Example how to access my server from inside
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:47:48 -0700
At 02:06 AM 1/23/2004, Christiaens Joachim wrote:
>And shouldn't we use dig ? ;-)

Actually, no.  Both dig and nslookup only use the resolver, so if you have
an active hosts file ("hosts" before "bind" in the /etc/host.conf) you
won't necessarily get the same thing as a program will.  I've written a
simple program that is basically a command line wrapper around the
"gethostbyname" system call.  If there's any interest, I'll put it
somewhere visable.  This mailing list doesn't seem to support attachments.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228