[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Jan Koetze <jan at koetze dot net>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall feature request
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:57:54 -0700
At 03:54 AM 1/23/2004, Jan Koetze wrote:
>option to stop portscans the way portsentry does or at least drop the
>request for a few minutes when a portscan occurs. With the current release
>people can scan forever.

I believe we had this discussion a while back.  Most "best practices" would
have an intrusion detection system (IDS) on a separate machine than your
firewall.  The firewall should be as simple as possible and be as reliable
as an anvil.

The more features, the more potential exploits...

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228