[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brett J. Carpenter" <Brett dot Carpenter at lehigh dot edu>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Problem booting pb26r614
 Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:45:25 -0500
I recently upgraded my box from pb25r595 to pb26r614 and had some problems

Here is my platform
This platform was running m0n0wall since October in a production environment and for a
month earlier while testing.

PII 266
ISA dual PCMCIA bridge
2 Generic PRISM 2.5 cards Originally SMC 200mw Cards
8 Mb CF card IDE adapter
1 NIC card (sis0)
Way too much memory
S3 Video

Here is my story: (Skip down to console output if you like)

I went through firmware upgrade procedure and the box rebooted but in that tense moment
where the box is rebooting and stops responding to ping for a while (it always reminds
me of a comm blackout on reentry from orbit) the box never came back.
This time I left it for 10 min...just in case
So this means I have to physically go get the box...
The box runs in a old 50cal ammo box on my roof because it is connected to 1M dish which
is my WAN interface at which at the time was covered in ice and snow at at 10 Degrees F
so I waited until the next day and after fashioning a makeshift rope harness and one of my
house mates on the end of my safety line,I went up onto the roof. I had to lay flat to
keep from sliding but I made my way to the peak of the roof cut the self sealing tape
and duck seal (waterproof clay like material for sealing around electrical connections)
from the RF N connectors and disconnected and carefully dragged it it inside. Well upon
thawing (me and it [there was still ice on it] )
I opened up the top and plugged in a keyboard and monitor to it

This is what is displayed

 CONSOLE OUTPUT
------SNIP--------
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/php: /Shared object has no run-time symbol table
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/php: /Shared object has no run-time symbol table

m0n0wall console setup
**********************
1) Interfaces:assign network ports
2) Set up LAN IP address
3) Reset webGUI password
4) Reset to factory defaults
5) Reboot system

Enter a number: pccard: card inserted, slot 0
pccard: card inserted, slot 1

And then it hangs

I will leave the box in this state if you like so I can do any tests the group would like
or I can just reflash the card and stick it back up there.

Thanks again to Manuel and all who contribute
I appreciate the work

Brett Carpenter