[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Nellemann" <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] SSL keys?
 Date:  Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:40:34 +0100
Hi,

Thanks for the answers!

> No, it will Just Work. However, you will get a message from your
browser
> saying that the identity of the web site could not be verified,
because the
> web site's certificate was signed by an unknown certifying authority.
I.e.,
> maybe someone is spoofing the web site.
>
> I haven't figured out how to make this go away.

Sounds like the answer from Joachim below hints at a solution?

> Details about this can be found in the archive (I searched for
> "certificate", this was the top answer):

<http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=5&actionargs[]=4
9>

(Doh! I searched for "SSL" and "RSA", "cerificate" never occured to
me!?! Although I did find the above post, just not at the top!)

Might just be me that is blind (or stupid)? But I don't see any details
in this post about how to do this under win32, which, as I mention in my
post, is the only platform currently available to me (unless it can be
done through exec.php of course).

= = =

> You have to buy a certificate from verisign, thawte or some vendor, so
your
> browser will trust the certificate blindly, or you will have to
manually
> trust (install locally) the certificate one time in your browser.

Hmm, I'd rather avoid, at least for now, buying a certificate.

However this "manually trust" thing sounds like just what I would need.
Could you possibly explain to me how this can be done (preferably with
the "default" certificate, i.e when nothing has been pasted in the
Advanced menu). I use IE, but I'm sure I can figure it out, even if you
describe the process for some other browser :)

Thanks,

A-)