[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Setting up vlans
 Date:  Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:10:39 -0400
On 9/8/06, Jan Luehr <liste at stephan dot homeunix dot net> wrote:

> Oops... I misunderstood the term vlan.
> However, is it possible to create virtual interfaces with m0n0wall like Linux
> does, where I simply use ethX:Y?

I don't know anything about Linux, but I presume you want something
like multiple subnets on the LAN side of m0n0wall, using multiple LAN
IP's on m0n0wall?  That's not supported (via the GUI, google 'ifconfig
alias site:m0n0.ch' to find unsupported alternatives that may or may
not work), and is strongly recommended against as it's poor network
design to put multiple IP subnets on a single broadcast domain.  You
can do that properly using multiple broadcast domains either via
802.1Q VLAN's, or multiple interfaces and multiple switches.

-Chris