[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FTP server behind monowall
 Date:  Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:06:21 -0500
Works like a champ. Just to confirm my suspicion, I hooked my d-link
router back into the loop on my end and tried to ftp, same problem I had
months ago with broken data connections. *Kicks D-Link Router Around*

So this is what I would try on your end, check to see what brand of
router/firewall/NAT/whatever it is you use on your end when trying to
connect from the WAN address and try a test by removing it from the loop
somehow (like just plugging the PC right into the net with an IP
address) and see if all of sudden everything appears to work. For the
longest time I pulled the hair out of my head trying to figure out why I
couldn't get External FTP to work through m0n0wall, but I laugh now
because back then *all* of my business locations had the same d-link
router/firewall device so when I was trying from 3 different locations
(and ISP) and getting the same result I thought it was something wrong
with m0n0wall, but I learned the hard way that the d-link device was the
problem. I've since replaced them with a linksys and netgear, etc and
guess what, no problems, hehe.

I was going to post that to this mailing list in hopes that others
wouldn't not waste their life trying to solve the same problem, but it
kind of slipped my mind, but I'm glad you brought this back up so I
could post it to the m0n0wall world to have now.

Note to exact D-Link model (D-Link DGL-4300), which doesn't mean all the
D-Link routers suck, only this one when it comes to ftp, LOL.

Thanks,
Michael