[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:09:28 -0500
On that part, I can confirm that a 2.4 GHz Base Phones will interfere
with wireless networking.  So will your microwave oven (same frequency)
if it's close to the base. Even Cell Phones interfere with the wireless
LAN because a lot of them also operate at 2.4 GHz. I have to leave my
cell phone off while in the house otherwise it knocks everyone's
wireless signal strength to "poor" or no connection at all.

I had to get a 5.8 GHz Phone Base for my home and as for the Cell Phone,
will have to wait until new ones that get away from the 2.4 GHz range I
guess.  Microwave oven you can't help :-(

The problem really (in the US anyway) is that the FCC allowed too many
2.4 GHz devices that "leak" out of their assigned range.  Your wireless
router will use channels 2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz (higher for other
countries), which as you can see doesn't leave much margin for error on
signal leakage.  So the microwave oven is in all that range so if it's
nearby by will basically jam the wireless signal.  Those 2.4 GHz base
phones are not suppose to touch this range but they leak all over the
place and cause problems.  Cell Phones are even worse because they have
a lot more power to them and leak just as bad which is case is stomping
over the range that the wireless LAN would use.  Then there is the
problem of two nearby wireless base or devices that are using the same
frequency which causes even more havoc.  As you can see, the 2.4 GHz
spectrum is really just overcrowded and it gets very annoying that so
many things can mess with the WLAN.

Anyway, that was my $0.02

Thanks,
Michael