[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  SDamron <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Michael Brown" <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:23:32 -0500
That is a bit of misinformation there...Cell Phones do not operate in
2.4Ghz.  They operate between 800-2000mhz or 800mhz to 2.0ghz.
Cellphones CAN NOT operate in 2.4ghz, as it is reserved for
scientific/research, as they can not operate lower than 800mhz due to
emergency frequencies (Fire and Ambulance) operating in that range.

On 9/12/06, Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org> wrote:
> On that part, I can confirm that a 2.4 GHz Base Phones will interfere
> with wireless networking.  So will your microwave oven (same frequency)
> if it's close to the base. Even Cell Phones interfere with the wireless
> LAN because a lot of them also operate at 2.4 GHz. I have to leave my
> cell phone off while in the house otherwise it knocks everyone's
> wireless signal strength to "poor" or no connection at all.
>
> I had to get a 5.8 GHz Phone Base for my home and as for the Cell Phone,
> will have to wait until new ones that get away from the 2.4 GHz range I
> guess.  Microwave oven you can't help :-(
>
> The problem really (in the US anyway) is that the FCC allowed too many
> 2.4 GHz devices that "leak" out of their assigned range.  Your wireless
> router will use channels 2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz (higher for other
> countries), which as you can see doesn't leave much margin for error on
> signal leakage.  So the microwave oven is in all that range so if it's
> nearby by will basically jam the wireless signal.  Those 2.4 GHz base
> phones are not suppose to touch this range but they leak all over the
> place and cause problems.  Cell Phones are even worse because they have
> a lot more power to them and leak just as bad which is case is stomping
> over the range that the wireless LAN would use.  Then there is the
> problem of two nearby wireless base or devices that are using the same
> frequency which causes even more havoc.  As you can see, the 2.4 GHz
> spectrum is really just overcrowded and it gets very annoying that so
> many things can mess with the WLAN.
>
> Anyway, that was my $0.02
>
> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> Stephen Ronan wrote:
> > One question I'd have that I couldn't answer but I'd guess someone
> > else her could has to do with 2.4GHZ base station phones. Do those
> > create much more noise when someone's talking on them compared to when
> > they're sitting idle in their base station? If so, one might wonder
> > whether usage patterns of those phones contribute to the problems
> > you're seeing. I'd be especially curious to know whether the pattern
> > of problems on weekends is the same as on weekdays... problems just
> > appearing during the evening.

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.