[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt dot com>
 To:  'Michael Brown' <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>, monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:19:17 -0700
You can have problems with a WAP, even though a cellular phone is not on the
same frequencies. It's called front-end overload, and it's because the cell
phone has a higher power output than a wifi card, or WAP. If the phone is
between the computer and wifi, or is closer to the WAP, it could cause
problems where the WAP can't filter out the much stronger cellphone signal.
It 'overloads' the radio circuitry in the WAP so it can't hear the wifi
signals very well.

Now, a 2.5Ghz cordless phone used in most homes will cause a WAP to drop.
Happened to me all the time until we purchased a 5.4Ghz phone, and that
solved the problem.

HTH

Mark
KA6WKE