[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt dot com>
 To:  'SDamron' <sdamron at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>, monowall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Limited or no connectivity
 Date:  Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:50:04 -0700
Actually it should be 2.4Ghz instead of 2.5Ghz, that was a typo. Most home
cordless phones transmit/receive in the 2.4Ghz band. That's also where WAPs
live, 2.4Ghz. They use a technology called spread-spectrum, that causes the
transmitter in the WAP, and the receiver in the remote computer to change
frequencies within the 2.4Ghz band very quickly, identically. It cuts down
on mutual interference, but it's not perfect. There are times phones and
WAPs will 'stomp' on each other, and in my experience, cordless phones
generally win the battle.

5.4Ghz phones are newer technology, and operate essentially the same way,
but they won't stomp on WAPs because they operate in a different frequency
band. So, if you can, get a 5.4Ghz phone, and your WAP will love you again.

I'm getting this from my own knowledge. I've been an amateur radio operator
since I was a teenager, and have been involved with radio communications
almost all my life.

HTH

Mark