[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bjoern Euler <lists at edain dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] traffic shaping
 Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:24:53 +0200
Scott Kuhn wrote:
> Especially like the traffic shaping abilities, but am used to products like
> Packeteer where you can set in Discovery mode to determine the actual
> traffic and sources prior to shaping.is there any ability to do something
> like this on m0n0wall?

I saw the Packeteer stuff last week at a customer site where I want to
replace it with a m0n0wall in bridge mode (Packeteer has many more
options, but limits to 2mbit via license in this case).

The customer asked exactly your question and the only thing I can think
of is

-turning on logging for all packets with a filter rule for every used
interface
-save it to a syslog host
-analyze it with sth. like http://www.sawmill.net/
-build your shaper around the analysis

Of course this doesn't replace the wizard-like adding of rules or the
overview that you have with the packeteer.

Regards