[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Richard Deno" <draco dot red at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Trouble with VoIP and AC Nielsen's Homescan consumer panel
 Date:  Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:46:56 -0700
A bit after I switched for DSL to cable (8Mb down, 1.5Mb up--w00t!), I also
switched my phone service to Vonage.  Good price, but I've been having some
problems with sound quality.  Half the time when we are talking to someone
they say that it sounds like we are talking under water, and we've been
having some trouble transmitting from our Homescan handheld device.  For
those who don't know (most everyone) AC Nielsen (the same people who do TV
ratings) have a program called the "Homescan Consumer Panel".  In this they
send you a handheld bar code scanner, and you scan everything that you buy.
On the body of the scanner there is an acoustic coupler speaker cup, and to
transmit you call their 800 number, press the speaker against the phone's
microphone and press OK.  It than makes a standard modem type connection,
and transmits all the data that it has collected since it last transmitted.
We usually don't have a problem with transmitting, but lately we just
haven't been able to get the data through.  At first I thought it was
because a Bit-Torrent client was running on our network, but even with all
the computers turned off, we still can't get it through.  I already have
traffic shaper going, but I was wondering if it would be possible to
partition off a specific amount of bandwidth for the Vonage adapter itself?
I have the call quality set at 90 Kbps and Vonage is heavily preferred
(weighted at 100 with the highest anything else being at 13).

Any suggestions would be great--I'll send out my config file in the next two
e-mails (30000 bytes limit).

Thanks--

Richard