[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Trouble with VoIP and AC Nielsen's Homescan consumer panel
 Date:  Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:39:49 -0500
I actually made a mistake in my post:  I should have said to use a separate pair
of pipes to dedicate bandwidth to your Vonage connection instead of queues.

When I was testing m0n0wall with my Vonage connection, I tried using one set of
pipes with VOIP packets assigned to the highest priority queue but still had too
many dropped packets no matter what priority levels were selected when other
traffic was significant.

I ended up setting the second pair of pipes dedicated to VOIP traffic to 128
kbit/s although this number is not critical as long as it is higher then the
VOIP bandwidth.  Keep in mind that the used VOIP bandwidth and all other
bandwidth still has to be below your connection speed for the traffic shaper to
be effective.  The flaw with this setup is that the VOIP bandwidth can not be
borrowed for other purposes when not needed for VOIP without using a different
traffic shaper.

On a side note, I hate using the term "bandwidth" for something measured in bits
per second. :(