[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jonathan De Graeve" <Jonathan dot DeGraeve at imelda dot be>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Chillispot performance results
 Date:  Fri, 15 Sep 2006 23:34:53 +0200
Hello,

I'm currently testdriving chillispot as a possible alternative to the
current CP.

I'm looking for the following:

People who are using Chillispot (preferable freebsd but linux is
accepted to) and can give me the following test results+information:

* OS type/distro
* CPU type
* Amount of ram
* CPU/Mem usage of the chilli process with the exact amount of users
* Latency

Mine is running on FreeBSD 6.1 assigned 256MB ram in a virtual machine
(host 1GB ram, P4 3,4Ghz) whereas the client (winxp, 256MB ram assigned)
also is running on the same host in a virtual pc.

The latency from the FreeBSD to the gateway is 0,8 - 1ms

With Chillispot:
The latency from the client to the BSD CP is 9-12ms.
Performance is 2MB/s at 100% cpu of the underlying VM host system

Without Chillispot normal FW rules/forwarding (M0n0CP):
The latency from the client the BSD CP is 4-9ms
Performance is 3,6MB/s at 100% cpu of the underlying VM host system

I'm curious what the performance is on separated machines and test
results of people in different situations are welcome.

Sorry if I seem to spam this list but I'm in testdriving different
implementations (spending all my spare time to it) and feedback is more
then welcome.

PS the question to use or not to use Chillispot is for a different
thread although you may respond with your findings why currently
M0n0wall/pfsense is better then chillispot (or vice versa) by sending an
email directly to me (not to the list) with Subject: Chillispot VS
M0n0wall

Thx,

Jonathan

--