[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Queues needed for virtual pipes ?
 Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:22:17 -0400
For Traffic Shaper: Edit pipe, I see that masks can be chosen as "source" or
"destination" for "dynamic" pipes.

Aren't "dynamic" pipes also known as "virtual" pipes?  For the purposes of
this question, I'll assume that virtual pipes are also known as dynamic
pipes.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I see Queues can also have mask "source" or "destination" designations.

I want to use masking so I can do BW allocation on a per IP basis.

If I have a mask for the pipe, do I always need a mask for a queue?

Or are there times in traffic shaping, where: 1. I might only need masking
for pipes, but not for queues?  2.  And are there other times when I might
need masking for pipes and queues for BW allocation.  If so, what are the
effects that might be noted between the two?

When I do masking, I'm confused on whether I always need to be associating a
specific queue mask with a specific pipe mask, in order to do BW allocation
on a per IP basis.

Thanks much for your help,

Bob