[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matt Karschner <mkarschner at chilitech dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Streaming video issues
 Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:28:50 -0400
Hello,

I'm having an issue with streaming video using a Polycom video
conferencing device using the H.23 protocol.  I work for a wireless
ISP and the radios we typically install at customer sites only bridge
one MAC address.  I also want a different public IP address for each
customer.  That pushed me towards using M0n0wall.  Everything works
really well except the video conferencing.

When starting the video conference, the other end is able to see and
hear me.  The issue is I cannot see or hear the other side.  I have
allowed everything through the WAN port to both the LAN and OPT1
ports.  I have also setup a rule to allow the specific ports this
Polycom unit uses to both interfaces just to make sure nothing was
being blocked.  The firewall logs don't list anything related to the
ports, end IP address,  or anything to do with the issue.  It just
lists the blocking between the LAN and OPT1 subnets (which is what I
configured it to do).  I don't know if I'm missing something here.

My NAT configuration seems good as well.  I have Outbound NAT setup
for each public IP, setup a Server NAT entry for the user on the OPT1
interface, and also created an inbound NAT for both LAN and OPT1
using the specific ports for the video conferencing.  Proxy ARP is
also setup for the OPT1 interface.

Both the LAN and OPT1 are on different subnets.  The customer I'm
having the issue with is on the LAN interface.  I have tried putting
a switch between the M0n0wall box and their router just to cut their
router out of the mix.

Hopefully somebody will have some insight on this situation.  All the
configs look good which is why this is confusing.

Thanks in advance

Matt Karschner
Wireless Network Administrator
ChiliTech Internet Solutions Inc.