[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Klaus Stock" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: WRAP and m0n0 as a VPN endpoint
 Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:31:53 +0200
> > Has anyone used m0n0 on a WRAP board as a VPN endpoint? And how did it
work
> > for you?
> >
> > I want Windows XP clients to VPN to the WRAP box, then be dumped onto
the
> > local network including being able to use network neighborhood, printer
> > shares, etc. Any problem with what I am trying to do??

I do not exactly understand your problem.

I use a m0n0wall (WRAP platform) as a PPTP server for a class C network in
the class A address region (in other words, 10.0.0.x).

I use WinXP as a client, with the client machine sitting in a typical class
C network (192.168.x.x) together with a class C network in the class A range
(10.0.0.x via a gateway in the 192.168.x.x range).

Now, when I connect via PPTP to the remote network, I lose the ability to
access the local 10.0.0.x addresses. Obvious, since all 10.0.0.x traffic now
gets routed via PPTP and the m0n0wall to the remote network. If I cut the
PPTP connection, I regain access to the local 10.0.0.x addresses. Extremely
un-1337, that! And a bit inconvinient as well.

Luckily, the addresses which I wanted to access on the rmeote network did
not overlap with the addresses I needed to access on the local network. So I
simply typed something like "route -p add 10.0.0.x 192.168.x.x" (with the
local server address I wanted to access and the local gateway). In other
words, I created a static route and from that point on, I could access the
local server with the IP adress given to the route command while PPTP was
on.

Well, I also could have changed the addresses of the network behind the
m0n0wall to another class C subnet (like 10.0.99.x), to get them out of the
way, but, hey, why choose the easy way?

Dunno if your problem related to routing tables, though. Perhaps you can
elaborate?

- Klaus
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg