[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Klaus Stock" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 Wiki problem
 Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:48:26 +0200
> I was looking at the wiki at John Voigt's information about graphing
> bandwidth usage per lan host.  I saw there were thousands of responses
> to the post.  Unfortunately, almost every one was some spammer trying to
> get me to go to their porn website.  I know it's a wiki, and generally
> open to all, but is there a way to prevent any idiot from doing that?
> It makes the good information impossible to find.  Anyway, just asking.

Yes, it is possible.

There are plug-ins like Bad Behavior, which detect spammer by their behavior
and disable access for them. Unfortunately, Bad Behavior didn't catch many
spammers on the Wikis which I administer. Instead, it managed to lock >>me<<
out. Me. The Wiki admin!

I now use some regular expressions, which the Wiki software (I use
MediaWiki, just like Wikipedia) applies to each edit, and refuses to save
the stuff it the regexp matches. Works surprisingly good. And anything which
gets through (both spam and ordinary vanadlism) gets cleaned up the users
which happen to stumble upon such an "re-decorated" article.

Best regards, Klaus
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg