[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alexandra Bochkaryova <shade at nnz dot ru>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problems with PPPoE
 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:26:56 +0400
Good day.

I've tried monowall 1.2b, 1.21 and 1.22 and had the same problem with PPPoE
on each.

Well, here is the prehistory. My office connects to Internet with the help
of PPPoE connection (mpd daemon) through ADSL modem.

Nowadays I use a freebsd 5.4 - server for this purpose and all is good. Here
is the mpd.conf of this server:

PPPoE:

        new -i ng0 PPPoE PPPoE

        set bundle authname "*****"

        set bundle password "*****"

        set bundle enable compression

#

        set link keep-alive 15 30

        set link disable pap chap

        set link accept pap chap

        set link enable acfcomp protocomp

        set link enable no-orig-auth

        set iface up-script /usr/local/etc/mpd/if_up

#

        set ccp enable mppc mpp-compress mpp-e40 mpp-e56 mpp-e128

        set ecp enable des

#

        set ipcp enable vjcomp

        set ipcp no req-pri-dns req-sec-dns req-pri-nbns req-sec-nbns

#

        set iface route default

#

        open iface

File /usr/local/etc/mpd/if_up just turns on NAT:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ipnat -CFf /etc/ipnat.rules

Where file /etc/ipnat.rules is:

map ng0 10.19.1.0/24 -> real-ip/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp

map ng0 10.19.1.0/24 -> real-ip/32

Well. Now I want to replace this server with monowall. I configured monowall
due to my old server's options. After that - local network is accessible,
and monowall from local network too, web-conf too. But it can't set up pppoe
connection. I can see in System -> Interfaces, that WAN interface is up and
it has the MAC-address that I assigned to it (ISP provided), but the PPPoE
link is down and don't want to connect. Here are logs of monowall:

mpd: [pppoe] pausing 6 seconds before open

mpd: [pppoe] device is now in state DOWN

mpd: [pppoe] device: OPEN event in state DOWN

mpd: [pppoe] device is now in state OPENING

mpd: [pppoe] PPPoE connection timeout after 9 seconds

mpd: [pppoe] device: DOWN event in state OPENING

mpd: [pppoe] device is now in state DOWN

mpd: [pppoe] link: DOWN event

mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Down event

mpd: [pppoe] device: OPEN event in state DOWN

mpd: [pppoe] pausing 6 seconds before open

and so on and so on... and the mpd.conf of monowall is:

pppoe:
        new -i ng0 pppoe pppoe
        set iface route default
        set iface disable on-demand
        set iface idle 0
        set iface up-script /usr/local/sbin/ppp-linkup
        set bundle disable multilink
        set bundle authname "*****"
        set bundle password "*****"
        set link keep-alive 10 60
        set link max-redial 0
        set link no acfcomp protocomp
        set link disable pap chap
        set link accept chap
        set link mtu 1492
        set ipcp yes vjcomp
        set ipcp ranges 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
        open iface

            I compared conf-files of old-server and monowall and decided to
change "monowalls" one to be like "oldservers" one. I took image, changed it
and uploaded. The monowalls mpd.conf then turned to be just like oldservers
one (you can see it above), but the problem remained just the same (and the
logs too). I don't know want to do. I've read in threads about problems with
LCP protocol - about ISP blocking LCP packets, but my ISP assures me that
all is ok about LCP.

Please, tell me smth :-) Thanks.

Alexandra