[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jonathan Owens <niralisse at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0 under VMWare as a "real" firewall?
 Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:12:32 -0700
I ran a similar setup for a bit while I waited for my Netvista to
arrive. It sounds like you've done things well so far, as I don't see
any obvious problems with your setup. One thing I encountered when doing
this was an onboard NIC that simply didn't work for LAN access. The
behavior was somewhat similar: the local machine could get to the LAN
port via the bridged NIC, but no other machines would even get IP
addresses. You might ensure that both NICs are of high quality before
troubleshooting software further.

Barring that, I have to say that the web-only failure of your other
clients is rather strange, do other services (such as email) work?
Typically if you can ping by hostname, you're home free, so try some
other services and see what you get.

Be patient, the VMWare m0n0wall is probably the most difficult platform
to get running.